With the aim of imparting Juyan’s knowledge and enthusiasm for tea, this online class are designed to be both educational and practical.
Wu Yi Rock Teas are complex, challenging and sometimes hard to love. It takes patience to fully appreciate their charm. Juyan will introduce you the distinctive terroir of Wu Yi Mountain where these teas are grown, show you how to brew them properly by Gong Fu Cha style, and how to drink them like the locals. For lovers of Rock Tea, this class will prove an interesting educational experience.
Wu Yi Rock tea is a category in its’s own right. Not only the category is made up of hundreds of tea plant cultivars, but also their growing environment of Wu Yi Mountain which is characterized by beautiful winding river valleys flanked by columnar or dome-shaped cliffs as well as cave systems. The high mineral content of the volcanic soil and the high humidity and numerous peaks shroud tea bushes in mist and shade with slow and concentrated growth impart its distinct character – Yan Yun poetically translated as Rock Rhyme.
To learn what is the true Rock Rhyme and the effect of cultivar, difference in terroir, only the ones from the Zhengyan (inner) area of Wu Yi are selected for this class. This class includes 16g of the following teas:
- Wu Yi Rock Tea – Hui Yuan Keng Da Hong Pao
- Wu Yi Rock Tea – Hui Yuan Keng Rou Gui
- Wu Yi Rock Tea – Rock Orchid Old Bush Shui Xian
- Wu Yi Rock Tea – Heaven’s Scent
DATE:Tuesday 27th April
TIME: 18:00 - 20:00 (GMT time zone)
PLACE: Online Zoom Meeting
HOW IT WORKS:
Once you complete your purchase, we will ship the teas to you. We will email you the Zoom link for joining the session two days before the class.
- Due to shipping time, there is the register deadline so we can ensure your tea arrives on time.
UK mainland: please book the session ONE WEEK (including weekends) minimum in advance. Free shipping.
For E.U. residents: please book your session 10 DAYS (including weekends) minimum in advance. There will be £12 shipping charge for the tea samples or free shipping if you are ordering other teas for over £80.
For the rest of the world: please book your session FOUR WEEKS (including weekends) minimum in advance. If you are not sure how long to take to ship tea to you from UK, please email us to check. Shipping cost will be added at the checkout or free shipping for the total order of £250.
- To ensure everyone gets a quality learning time, this class will only take 6 attendees maximum for each workshop.
Recording: we will email you the recording after the live class so that you can watch it again or if you cannot attend on the day.
WHAT YOU NEED?
For this class, you will follow Juyan to brew four teas, so please prepare the following practical items:
- Brewing vessel: a Gaiwan up to 100ml, or a small teapot under 150ml or a Yixing Teapot which you are using for Wu Yi Rock Tea.
- A kettle with a heat source
- Water: filtered tap water if possible or bottled water with pH 6.8-7 and
- A Cha Hai, a tea pitcher or any matching size decanting vessel
- A tea tray, or any flat tray, or a towel for catching / wiping spillages during brewing.
If you have any questions, please email me.