Huang Shan Mao Feng is a fine green tea from the scenic Huang Shan (Yellow Mountain), which is one of the four big mountains in China, currently protected as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Mao Feng is known for its mellow smoky yet clean character.
The tea gardens of the high mountain slopes are covered in thick mist and clouds, and the tea coming from this region historically has been known as Yunwu – the cloud and mist tea. Huan Shan Mao Feng is handcrafted using the traditional technique of baking the leaves in a charcoal fired oven (please confirm this is the case) to retain their original shape.
Huang Shan Mao Feng has a delicate smoky aroma with a hint of charcoal and a very clean and easy to drink texture. The mellow infusion is sweet and savoury with hints of hay and citrus fruits. It is light and refreshing, perfect for those looking for a high quality everyday green tea with no bitterness.
How to brew
- Use freshly drawn cold water
- Boil water & allow to cool for 3 minutes to about 90 ºC
- Use 3g tea leaves in a 350ml cup
- Steep for 1 to 2 minutes (or to your taste),
- Infusions: at least 3 times – don't remove the leaves from the mug, as once the water level is low, simply add more water and keep going until the flavour of the tea is gone
- Brewing vessel: Glass cup, gaiwan, glass or porcelain pot